My first encounter with Jesus!

My first encounter with God was 11th of January 1962. The day of my baptism. Of course, I have no memory of this day, but I grew up in a family that was religious. We attended mass every week and my 7 brothers and sisters and I all received our sacraments as we were growing up. I attended a Catholic primary and secondary school, and we had the opportunity to go to Mass at least once a week. I grew up in a traditional catholic environment. My parent’s received permission for me to make my first communion when I was 6 because I was a religiously precocious child. I don’t know if this is a valid distinction, but I like to talk of my first direct experience of God versus indirect. Indirect is someone told me that God was present, God was present in the host, at mass etc. It was something that people who loved me told me about, but it wasn’t something that I personally felt. My brother Michael entered the seminary when I was 5 years old and from that time, I wanted to be a priest, specifically a Redemptorist Priest. I entered the seminary when I was 13 years and attended a seminary preparatory school and seminary college. In July of 1984 I entered the novitiate. This was my dream come true, more than a priest I wanted to be a Redemptorist. The novitiate was a wonderful experience for me, and I professed my first vows on July 21st 1985. July 20th was our day to get ready for the profession ceremony. There were 21 of us novices and we had much work to do get ready for the next day. Cleaning the chapel, arranging flowers, practicing music, laying out the vestments and getting our new habits in order. We also had a dinner afterwards so we need to get the dining room ready, the food and drinks. We were busy the entire day. Finally, around 9 PM we were free. Our novitiate was on the edge of beautiful lake, Lac La Belle, and many times during the year I would run around the lake, 10 kilometers. That night I decided I would run around the lake. There was a full moon and plenty of light. I slipped on my tennis shoes and headed out to make the loop around the lake. Towards the end there is a curve in the road and small hill. That night when I got to the curve the novitiate shined in the horizon. The bell tower seemed to reach up and scratch the moon and the reflection of the building shimmered in the water. I was filled with happiness and joy thinking that tomorrow I would profess my first vows. I would wear my Redemptorist habit, and my brothers would welcome me into the community. Of course, the building was not important but rather what it represented I would be a part of this religious community. The words of Psalm 4 came into my heart. “Lord, you have put into my heart a greater joy than those who have the abundance of corn and new wine. I lie down in peace and sleep comes at once for you alone lord make me dwell in safety.” I was so happy and I could feel the presence of Jesus. I know that Jesus loved me and I loved him and I was ready to give him my life.

Comments