Jesus is Our Good Shepherd

IV Sunday of Easter John 10, 11-18 Jesus said: "I am the good shepherd. A good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. A hired hand, who is not a shepherd and whose sheep are not his own, sees a wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away, and the wolf catches and scatters them. This is because he works for pay and has no concern for the sheep.I am the good shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I will lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice, and there will be one flock, one shepherd.This is why the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own. I have power to lay it down, and power to take it up again. This command I have received from my Father." Today we read the Gospel of Jesus the Good Shepherd. There is only one part of part of the Gospel but we hear of Jesus’ love for his sheep, for us. Jesus doesn’t just simply compare himself to a good shepherd, rather he says, “he is the Good Shepherd.” He has a relationship with his sheep, based in his love for each and every one of us. He defends and cares for his sheep and he gives his life for his sheep. Jesus is the Good Shepherd; he gives his life for his sheep. Jesus is the Good shepherd because he knows us and we know him. Jesus is the Good shepherd because he leads us, he even leads the sheep that aren’t a part of his fold. Jesus is the Good Shepherd because he gave his life for us. This is what we celebrated on Good Friday. Jesus’ great love for each and everyone of us. He not only knows us and loves us, leads and guides us he gives his life for us. Jesus didn’t merely die on the cross because he was condemned to death by Pilate. No, Jesus died on the cross for us. He died instead of us. He gave his life so that we might have life more fully. Jesus is the Good Shepherd because he knows us and we know him. Jesus has a relationship with us. Like a good shepherd knows his sheep, he knows which ones are sick and hurting so he takes care of them. He knows which ones are healty and strong so he can invite them to help him lead. Pope Francis preaching on this Gospel said the Good Shepherd smells like his sheep. He not only knows us but he also has an intimate relationship with us. He doesn’t just know what we smell like, but he smells like us. Jesus is the Good shepherd because he leads us, he even leads those who are not a part of his fold. Wait!!! Who isn’t a part of his fold? Many times in the past we focused on and judged those who didn’t belong. When I was a child there was a thing called pagan babies. We would pay money so missionaries could baptize little babies in Africa and China so they would be saved. We also use to judge not Catholic Christians, saying that they might not be able to go to heaven. When Jesus says that he leads even those who aren’t part of his fold I think he is refering to all those people that we might exclude. In the past it was pagans or protestants. Today it might be people who are gay, or people that we label as sinners. I think that Jesus is reminding us that we don’t need to judge others. That others are also included in Jesus shepfold. Jesus doesn’t want to exclude anyone. As I said, Jesus the Good shepherd knows his sheep. He knows us. We are already a part of the sheepfold. We are in. We can join Jesus in his ministry but welcoming others as well. We don’t need to be gatekeepers keeping others out, rather we can stand at the gate and welcome others in.

Comments