We are the light of the world.

V Sunday Ordinary Time A Matthew 5, 13-16 Jesus said to his disciples: "You are the salt of the earth. But if salt loses its taste, with what can it be seasoned? It is no longer good for anything but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. You are the light of the world. A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house. Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father." In today’s Gospel Jesus uses metaphors to tell us who we are as disciples of Jesus. He says we are “Salt” “Light” and “A city on the hill.” Jesus doesn’t say we will become the salt of the earth, the Light of the world or city on a hill. No, Jesus says that we are Salt, light and a city on the hill. We are these things because Jesus has called us, and we have responded. We are the salt of the earth! What does it mean to be salt? I remember a many years ago my dad had a heart attack, and I went home to visit my parents. My mom made a beautiful dinner, my favorites a pot roast and gravy, mashed potatoes and for her dessert her specialty: Chocolate chip date cake. The food looked great, just like I remember it. I took a forkful of the pot roast loaded with gravy and it was tasteless. The food looked good, but it was flavorless. I couldn’t figure it out. I thought well at least there is dessert, that’s got to be good. The cake was like chalk in my mouth. It had the same texture, but it had not taste whatsoever. I tried to be nice, but I said to my mom, “what’s wrong with the food?” She said, “nothing, it just that you father can’t have salt, so I made the dinner with salt substitute.” I am sorry but there is no substitute for salt. In the same way there is no substitute for Christians in the world. We are the ones who give flavor to the world. We are the ones who make the world meaningful, we give it value and importance. We are the light of the world. We understand well the importance of light. When I lived in the Amazon Jungle there was no electricity. When the sun went down it was dark. People had candles and oil lamps but try to say mass with an oil lamp. Candles are pretty but don’t give out much light. We are the light of the world. We make it possible to see clearly. You need light if you going to do anything, there is no substitute for light there is no substitute for Christians. We are the ones who brighten the world. We are the ones who drive out darkness. Several years I took a vacation to Tuscany. There are these beautiful cities set on mountain tops. You can see them from a distance, they look out over the surrounding countryside. They can’t be hidden. In the same way a Christian can’t be hidden. We are the ones who are the center of the world, we are the ones who are shown to all for miles around. Jesus ends the reading by saying our light must shine before others, so our Good Deeds will shine brightly before all. So, if we are in the fact the salt of the earth, we are the light of the world, if we are this city set on a hill it is because of our good deeds. What are these good deeds? The Gospel reading doesn’t answer that question but the first reading from Isaiah does. “Share your bread with the hungry, shelter the oppressed and the homeless, clothe the naked when you see them, do not turn your back on your own.” Then your light will break forth like the dawn. It is pretty clear what it is that we are expected to do. I am proud to be a part of St. Mary’s. I am proud the way that we have responded to sharing our bread with the hungry. Our light is burning brightly. I wish that we could do more. A woman showed up here after the 1:00 Mass last Sunday. She had no place to stay. I looked around St. Mary’s and I thought, “All these buildings… why can’t she sleep in the church?” “Why can’t we open a classroom or two?” Unfortunately, I know that it isn’t that simple. I know that could do more and the need is so great. But I am glad that we are doing something. There is a group called the Christophers founded by the Maryknoll Missionaries. There motto is it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness. It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness. I praise God that I am part of this community, I praise God that we aren’t cursing the darkness but rather we have accepted the challenge and we are lighting candles one at a time.

Comments

Post a Comment