First Communion

First Communion Sunday May 22, 2022 John 14, 23-29
Jesus said to his disciples: “Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; yet the word you hear is not mine but that of the Father who sent me. “I have told you this while I am with you. The Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and remind you of all that I told you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid. You heard me tell you, ‘I am going away and I will come back to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father; for the Father is greater than I. And now I have told you this before it happens, so that when it happens you may believe.” My dear children, you all look wonderful in your beautiful dresses and handsome suits. And you look so very happy. Your parents, catechists, and relatives are all smiling with joy for you, and they are so very proud of you. I am very proud of you too! They want to keep the sweet memory of this day by taking your pictures. They also want you to remember this day throughout your life by giving you beautiful gifts like small bibles, beautiful rosaries, shining prayer books and other precious gifts. I am also proud of each of you. I know some of you might be a little nervous, but I think that you are mostly excited about receiving Holy Communion for the first time. My question is why are we all happy today and why do we celebrate this day as one of the most important days of your life? Because you are going to receive Jesus in communion for the very first time. Now I know you all understand what you are doing here today. You know that your mom and dad might give you a gift. Your godparents might have bought you a present. Some people might even give you some money. Jesus is here because he is going to give you a gift too! What is the gift that Jesus has for you? Jesus is going to give you himself. The bread that you are going to receive today for the first time isn’t a gift from Jesus. It is Jesus! Why do you think Jesus has this gift here for you? Why do you think that Jesus has this gift here for everyone? Because Jesus loves us! We heard in today’s Gospel, if you love me, you will obey me, and I will love you and I will make my home in you. Jesus wants to make his home in us, he wants to be in our hearts. Jesus continues and says, “Don’t let your hearts be afraid.” We all have things to worry about. Sometimes I think, what do little kids have to worry about? A lot! You can worry about school, you can worry about getting sick, you worry about other people who get sick. You might worry when you get in fight with someone. You might worry about mean people in the world who do mean things. Your parents worry about things, I worry about things. We all have things to worry about. Having Jesus in the Eucharist doesn’t mean that we won’t have things to worry about it anymore. It doesn’t mean that life will be easy without any problems. No, it means that Jesus will always be with you, so whatever it is that you are doing you will never ever be alone. Jesus also talks about the Holy Spirit, another gift that he will give you at the next sacrament you receive, your confirmation. We are all happy today because we love you so much. I can see that you are surrounded by much love. And the one who loves you the most is Jesus, and he is ready to make his home with each one of you.

Comments