BLACK LIVES MATTER

Brothers and Sisters in Christ Jesus,

Like you I am appalled and saddened by the images that I see on our television screens: The loss of life and disrespect for our basic human rights. I am not talking about the looting on Rodeo Drive or the destruction at Santa Monica Pier. I am talking about the loss of life, especially that of Ahmaud Arberry, Breonna Taylor and Floyd George. And these are just the most recent examples of unjustified murder of our African American Brothers and Sisters. A man running in the park, a young woman sleeping in her bed and a man coming out of a convenience story. What do these three have in common? They were all black and while the circumstances of each situation are different there is no doubt in my mind that if they weren’t black they would be alive today.

The police have stopped me a few times in my life, my heart always begins to race and I am put on edge. I am always afraid. Afraid that I might get a ticket for speeding, afraid that I might be late for wherever it is I am rushing to, afraid that I might be fined. But I have never been afraid for my life. I have never been afraid that the uncomfortable confrontation will result in violence or even death. Is that because I am a law-abiding citizen? Or is it because I am white? I have no doubt that it is the latter. When the police have stopped me it is because I have broken a law. Usually, it is because I was going a few miles over the speed limit or because I thought that the yellow light would last a little longer. I have broken the law but I have never lived in fear of my life.

We all hate to see the violence in our cities, the destruction of property, the wanton disrespect. But until we are able to own up to the sin of racism we will never make progress. The riots will end, the curfews will cease, but unless we own our racism and admit that white privilege has shaped our nation we will never move forward. We must admit that our county was built on a racist foundation; in the very beginning we enslaved our black brothers and sisters, and though slavery ended 155 years ago we still treat people less because of the color of the skin.

Racism, as St. John Paul II said, is one of the most “persistent and destructive sins in our country. It is a social sin, that is, a sin that is committed not only by individuals, but which is part of the social structure in which all Americans live.” I hate to admit it but I have benefited from white privildge: from the neighborhood my parents bought a home in when I was a child to going to a restaurant and getting service. From being pulled over for speeding and not fearing that I might be shot.

St. John Paul II went on to say, “To oppose racism we must practice the culture of reciprocal acceptance, recognizing in every man and woman a brother or sister with whom we walk in solidarity and peace.” How do we do this? To quote Mayor Garcetti, “If you don’t understand why a young black man would protest in the street, sit down and talk with one.” If you don’t understand a police officer’s actions. Sit down and talk with one.

We are the in the midst of two pandemics in our country. The Corona Virus and the sin of Racism. They are both deadly and they both are killing countless members of our communities, our brothers and sisters. If we just ignore them, they won’t go away. Things will get worse. I don’t know the answer but I believe that Mayor Garcetti and St. John Paul II are on to something. The violence won’t end until we recognize that we are all brothers and sisters. The destruction will continue until we are able to sit down and talk to one another.

These are difficult times but we have just celebrated Pentecost Sunday. May the Holy Spirit fill our lives and our life. May we learn that we are all truly brothers and sisters of one God. A God who loves us and calls us to love one another.


Comments

  1. Thank you Father, for your post on Black Lives Matter.

    I grew up with parents that always debated the issues. In fact, back in the ‘50’s Father Shaughnessy of St. Mary’s would come over on Sundays, just for a good debate with my Dad!

    I agree that to watch our television with the destruction, looting and killing is thoroughly upsetting, but I think each one of us looks at things differently.

    Why did you choose to dismiss the looting, destruction and killing in the areas of Santa Monica and Beverly Hills? Is that excused because they are “white areas” and deserve it because of the color they were born? It was almost as if you were saying, these actions are excused.

    Why is it not important to mention the violence against children, innocent babies, and the police officers that protect us and risk their lives everyday?

    You mention 3 young people that were killed by police officers and you put the label “black” as the reason. Maybe the reason they died is because of an unfortunate set of circumstances, or a combination of one party committing a criminal act and an unscrupulous police officer, or the mere fact that the officer was afraid and in fear of losing his life.

    Police officers are well trained and their experiences have shown them who are most likely a threat to themselves or to others. I am not afraid of losing my life by a police officer for a minor traffic violation, not because I am white, but because I would not be brandishing a gun, spitting in their face, or running from a scene of a crime.

    To say that “white privilege” shaped our nation, well, I personally believe, our nation was shaped by many, many, different cultures and ethnic backgrounds, and that is what made it great. Until now , that anti-Americans have taken over in an effort to destroy our country.

    The argument that we must own our racism went out the window many years ago. Especially, after we elected a black President for not one, but two terms!
    In this country, we have 52 black house members, up from just 6 in 1965.

    The people that are rampaging our street and demanding justice have a name: “Black Lives Matter” and “Antifa”. They add the word “black” to gain the compassion and support of well meaning people.
    I do believe black lives matter, and every life matters, including the lives of un-born babies, but these groups of blacks and whites are fully funded communist groups that want to do away with America…they are not the wholesome, law -abiding people of color that one would think. I ask you to read their manifesto, and what they stand for. They post it online. It is everything our Church should be against.

    There is no talking to this group, they are here to destroy America, and you do not negotiate with terrorists.

    They demand the de-funding of police, and the disrespect for the law using the actions of a few police officers as their reason.

    When the Church was going through all the claims of molestation against children by a few troubled human beings within our Church, where would the Church be now, if there were riots in the streets demanding that the Church be de-funded, burned down, extreme violence and killing against ALL priests, disparaging the names of ALL priests and the Catholic Church because of the sins of a few?

    I know that there are troubled humans in all professions and we all are sinners in some way, but just as we must not excuse criminal acts, we must remember not to label white people as racists because of the sins of a very few. We must not excuse groups of people of color who show racism toward white people because we “deserve it” because of the sins of a few.

    Racism is a tool by certain government leaders and our media promotes it. If they would quit making racism an issue, it would not even be an issue.

    To quote Dr.Ben Carson, black man: “ We, the American people are not each other’s enemies. The enemies are those people behind the curtain jerking everybody’s chains and trying to divide us up by age, race and income.”

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment