True to your word

VI Sunday “A”
Gospel: Matthew 5:17-37
February 16, 2020
Reading this gospel my question is what is the point? What is the point in even trying? Jesus has set up something that is impossible. He has just too high a bar, so why try if I know that I am going to fail.
Jesus is giving us three commandments in today’s gospel. Don’t kill, don’t commit adultery and keep your word. If we think of it in the traditional way just about all of us can say, “we’ve done that.” We can check the box and move on.
I’ve never killed anyone. I have never pulled the trigger and ended anyone’s life. It is easy to say I am good and holy. Most of us can say the same. Most of us have never directly taking the life of another person it is easy for us to be self-satisfied. It is to think, “I am a good Christian.”
I’ve never committed Adultery. First of all only those of you who are married are able to commit adultery. So again it is easy to say, “I’ve been faithful. I’ve done what it is that I supposed to do.” We can check the box and move on.
Keep your word. Again that is an easy one. If I asked you, “are you a man of your word. A woman of your word.” I think that just about all of us could answer yes. If I say that I am going to do a job, if I say I will repay the money, you can count on me. I will do it.
Lets move on with mass, take up the collection and get out of here. But that is exactly what Jesus doesn’t want us to do. Jesus doesn’t want us to think of the law in the narrow sense. Jesus doesn’t want us to think of the minimum that we have to do to say I am a good Christian. Even less Jesus doesn’t want us to start thinking of somebody else. “That other guy, who isn’t a good Christian like I am.” That other person who cheated on her husband, or didn’t keep her word.” No Jesus wants us all to feel a bit uncomfortable and to know he is calling us to something that we can never feel smug about. Jesus wants us to know that more is always expected of us.
In the Gospel Jesus begins with commandments of the old law. He states the law clearly but then he goes on to give his interpretation, “But I say to you.”
If murder is just the direct taking of the life of another person not in war, not in self defense. If it is taking a gun and going up to another person shooting them with the intention and desire to end their life probably all of us can feel comfortable and know that we have kept the law. But if Jesus says murder includes getting angry at another, murder is also talking about another person, using unkind language. Well that is another thing. And Jesus says that if we have gotten angry with anther person, if we have lost our temper and said an unkind word not only have committed murder but we had better ask for forgiveness before we place our gift on the altar.
If adultery is a married person who has sex with someone who isn’t their spouse. There probably are few who are guilty of this sin. Even Bill Clinton didn’t feel that he had committed that sin. But if adultery is looking at another person with lust. If adultery is using our hands or our feet, or any part of our body for something other than that what it is intended for. We had better make a change or we will be liable to judgement.
If keeping an oath means that we have never formally broken a written contract. We have not defrauded anyone, or been sued for breach of contract, again most of us are probably innocent. Even Donald Trump gets off scott free. But if we had fudged even a little on our promises, if we said we work 8 hours but got in a little late or left a little early. If we spent time on our phone when we were supposed to be working. If you we had told even one little white lie than we have allowed the evil one to influence us.
What Jesus is telling us today is that righteousness is not just about our overt behavior but it is also about our inner motives. God wants us to be obedient not just in what can be seen, but God wants us to follow him heart mind and soul. God is claiming not just a part of us, but all of us, the whole person, the entirety of our relations.
As I said, it is easy to say, “what is the point?” Jesus can’t judge us for what we think? We can’t be condemned because of our thoughts, if I get mad at the guy in the fast lane who obviously can’t drive I am only human. If I watch the superbowl ½ time show and think, “wow!” That just means that I have a pulse. If I sometimes say, “I’ll be there in a minute” Even though I know the traffic is terrible how can I be condemned for that. What Jesus is saying, “as my follower I am calling you to something deeper.” I don’t just want right actions, I am calling you to something that the law can’t see, I am looking at your heart. Don’t follow me with your deeds, follow me with your mind and soul.
 Jesus says, “I am challenging you to a purity of heart that the calculus of the law cannot reach. So don't be complacent that you haven't killed yet.” In short, Jesus does not make new laws; for living the law, he brings a new vision and a new help—a refreshed covenant relationship with God. Yes, Jesus is calling us to the impossible, and the good thing about that is we can never be complacent. If I tell you, “you have to give a dollar in the collection to be a member.” You won’t sweat it. If I say, give a homeless person a sandwich, you’ll think no problem. If I say, “love your wife.” You’ll think, “of course” but Jesus is calling us to much more. When it comes to something impossible we ask for help. We call that grace. We can only do the impossible with the grace of the holy spirit.



Comments