You are God's Beloved!

Baptism of the Lord
Sunday January 12, 2020
Matthew 3, 13-17
I’d like to say that I know everyone’s name here, but I don’t. I am trying but I still get people’s names wrong. I see some people and my mind draws a blank. At times I am sure that so and so is Albert and I’ll be talking to them saying, “you know Albert I was wondering such and such…” and then after a few times using their name they say, “I am not Albert, my name is Greg.” It is embarrassing, but I would rather be corrected than go on thinking that Greg was Albert. Names are important; they are a part of who we are, they are a part of our identity.  If someone asks you who are you? We usually respond with our name.
Our name is part of who we are. I am Patrick, she’s Patty, she is Mary and he’s Joseph. In the United States our job is very important. So at times when people ask who are you we can say, “I am a priest, I am doctor, a student, a gardener, a housewife.” Our families are also very important, so at other times you might say, “I am Bill and Barbara’s son.” “I am a part of the Keyes’ family.” We can also say where we are from. I am a native Angelino, or I am from North Dakota and I got out of there as soon as I could. There are other things that are important to us that define part of our identity. I am a Packer Fan, or he’s a Raider. Our school, groups that we belong to and many other things.
When someone asks, “who are you?” There are lots of ways to answer the question. The answer might depend upon who is asking. Your profession is important when you are at work. At a family reunion it might be the names of your parents are. When you are at home, the relationship is the most important, “I am your mother.” “You are my wife.” Some of our identities are easy to change. I was a baker but now I am a candlestick maker. I was a Mexican but now I am an American citizen. I know people from St. Louis who were Ram fans but now they would never cheer for the Rams. People might even change their names. But there is one thing that can never be changed, our identity most important. We are sons and daughters of God: a God who loves us.
Today we celebrate the feast of the Baptism of Jesus. It is the end of the Christmas season, tomorrow the decorations will come down and we will begin what is called “ordinary time” in the Church. In “ordinary time” we consider the life and ministry of Jesus, but today, the last day of Christmas we remember Jesus’ baptism, the ultimate Epiphany. Christmas is a time of revelation, it is time for Jesus to reveal who he is to the world, the first revelation was to the shepherds, then the magi, and now it isn’t Angels doing the announcing to a select group, it is God announcing to the Universe that this man is his beloved son.
The Gospel says that when Jesus was baptized the heavens were opened and the spirit descended like a dove and God’s voice proclaimed, “This is my beloved son, with whom I am well pleased.” This is who Jesus truly is, this is the most important: he is the beloved Son of God.
Where were you baptized? Maybe some of you were baptized here in this Church. Maybe another place in California or the United States or even another part of the world. It doesn’t matter where you were baptized, or who did the baptizing. What happened at the Jordan River happened at the place where each of us was baptized. The skies opened, the Holy Spirit descended upon us and the voice of God proclaimed: “This is my beloved with whom I am well pleased.” We are the beloved of God, God is pleased with each and everyone of us.
Why does God love us? Why is God pleased with us? Those of you who are parents know this better than I do. Why do you love your kids? Why are you pleased with them? Because there are so darn cute? Because they are always obedient? Do you love your kids more because they have a good job and make lots of money? You might be proud of your children, but love is different than pride. You love your children, because they are your children. They don’t have to gain your love and if you are a good parent they also can’t lose your love. You love your kids because they are a part of who you are. It is the same with God. God loves us freely because we are God’s beloved Children. It is who we are.

Now as time goes on I will learn more names but I still might call Greg Albert. I will still forget who is from California and who is a Seahawk’s fan. But I won’t forget the most important. We are the beloved of God, God is well pleased with each and everyone of us.

Comments